davinp.com > PC Articles > Top Maintenance Tips to Keep Your PC Error Free
Top Maintenance Tips to Keep Your PC Error Free
Top Maintenance Tips To Keep Your PC Error Free
Purchasing a computer is a huge investment. Therefore, it is normal to have a little anxiety, while using your new computer. A computer freeze, hard disk failure or any other serious error may cause further expenditure or loss of important information. This anxiety is compounded by lack of information on how to maintain your computer or what causes these errors.
The good news is that a lot of PC errors can be prevented by following the simple PC maintenance tips that have been listed below:
- Keep your PC clean: Many errors are caused when your computer gets overheated due to dust particles. In order to avoid such problems, you need to keep your PC and its surrounding area absolutely clean. You can do this by using lint free wipes. To clean internal PC components, you can use a vacuum cleaner.
- Protect your PC from power surges: It is disappointing to notice that many PCs, even the ones that are expensive are not adequately protected from power surges. It is a wise investment to spend some money on surge protection as it will act as a shield in case there is a lightning strike or a power outage. Try to opt for a surge protector that comes with a warning indicator.
- Switch off your monitor when not in use: It’s a good idea to use your computer monitor like a television and switch it off when it is not being used. It will not only help you in saving power, but will also prolong the life of your monitor and reduce the chances of display errors such as bad pixels.
- Keep your Hard Disk Clean: Many computer users ignore the state of their hard disk without understanding that a clean hard disk is essential for optimum and error-free performance of a PC. It is very important to spend some time to clean and defragment your hard disk. This task can be easily achieved by using the system tools such as Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter that come along with your Windows operating system.
- Invest in a reliable anti-virus software: Computer viruses are one of the major reasons for data loss and PC errors today. Still, many users choose to take a chance with their system by not installing an anti-virus. An anti-virus is a fundamental requirement of your system and should be installed as soon as you purchase your PC. It is also important to always keep the real-time protection of this software ON to achieve total, round-the-clock protection.
- Take care of your Registry: If you use your computer extensively and install new software frequently, it is highly likely that your Windows registry is in bad shape. This situation can lead to a slowdown of your PC and may cause registry errors. It is recommended that you invest a small amount of money in purchasing a good quality registry scanning software. This software will not only ensure a healthy Windows registry, but will also perform registry restore that could prove as a vital backup in case of a system crash.